• Culture Coaticook
  • Société d'histoire
  • Pavillon des arts
  • Musée Beaulne
  • Harmonie
  • Coatic'Art
  • Bibliothèque

Le Courant

Fall 2008 | 10

In this issue


Coaticook -1875

An incorporated village and station of the Grand Trunk Railway, in the township of Barnston, county of Stanstead, 5 miles from Barnston Corners, 18 from Stanstead Plain, 21 from Sherbrooke, 16 from Hereford, 122 from Montréal and 175 miles from Portland. The site now occupied by the village...


The school commission

Rock Dandenault
1901 - A piano was bought for the Academy at a price of $190.00. An instructor was hired for $20.00 a year. 1902 - The property of Joseph Meade, on Glen St. was bought for a price of $500.00 1903 - The School Commission requested an English speaking nun to teach English at the Academy. 1908 -...


A recognition tribute to Walter George Belknap

Susan Beaton, Andrée Bernard
On Friday, October 12, 2007, a recognition evening was held in honour of Walter George Belknap, Manager of the Lake Lyster Fish and Game Club Hatchery from 1900 to 1940. The evening was sponsored by the Parc Decouverte Nature whose facilities are located just outside the village of Baldwin's...


History of the new Baldwin Mills Fish Hatchery

Greta Patterson Nish, Andrée Bernard
The fish hatchery in Baldwin Mills was begun in the spring of 1945 but to understand how it came to be built we must first look at the history of Alvah Patterson who was brought here to establish it. Alvah Patterson was born November 11, 1902 in Wakeham which is a part of the town of Gaspe. He grew...


A Belknap Road in Baldwin Mills

Yves Robillard
Baldwin's Mills should have a road named Belknap. This family has lived in the area since 1823 and has greatly contributed to the shaping of the physical environment as well as taking their place in the local history. Obadiah Belknap (1774-1834) (60years) and his wife Abigail Locke (1779-1861) (82...


Why did Richard Baldwin Sr fond Coaticook

Yves Robillard
I have always heard that Richard Baldwin, sr. found the site of the present day Coaticook, quite by accident. He was living near Lake Lester and went looking for a good place to do some fishing. An article, publisher August 29, 1911, in the Sherbrooke Daily Record, makes one think that Richard, sr....


Le Courant

Le Courant is published by the Society every year. Society's members, professional and amateur historian shared with the readers results of their searches. Articles are available in English and French. This publication received generous support from local sponsors that the Society wishes to thank with all it's gratitude.


Coaticook Historical Society

34 Main Stree East
Coaticook, Québec
(819) 849-1023

Opening Hours
Please call in advance of your visit to verify open hours.

Closed : Monday • Saturday • Sunday and public holidays
Entrance Fees : Free


Over 23,000 pictures from our weekly newspaper Le Progrès.
Copies of The Coaticook Observer 1928-1938 complete plus others of different dates.
Copies of the newspaper L'Etoile de l'Est from 1928 to 1938 (complete) and others bearing differents dates.
Copies of our weekly newspaper Le Progrès de Coaticook from 1971 to 2003.

Approximate number of objects in the collections: 23000

Research Services

We can find persons having stayed in our region or find the origin of certain houses or buildings.

Archival Records • Conservation or Restoration • Information Centre • Library
Other: Pictures researches by themes or newspaper clips related.
genealogy information

Thanks to our partners for their financial support