• Culture Coaticook
  • Société d'histoire
  • Pavillon des arts
  • Musée Beaulne
  • Harmonie
  • Coatic'Art
  • Bibliothèque

Le Courant

Automne 2019 | 21

The School Complex

The School Complex, ''La Frontaliere''

The construction of this large building located on St. Paul Street began in September 1973. The teachers and the administration were under the auspices of the Commission Scolaire Regional de l'Estrie.

This imposing structure of higher knowledge cost nearly four million dollars to build. This school is three stories tall and 378 feet long by 354 feet wide. This building can accomodate up to 1500 students. The head principal of the school is Andre Langevin. Jean DeFrancesco is the guidance counselor and 80 teachers are assigned in various areas of teaching.

In order to administer this high school, the School Board required the employment, in addition to the 80 teachers, a principal and three aides, a director assisted by a guidance counselor, three secretaries, two librarians, a student supervisor, a clerk, janitors, cleaners, a watchman, a recreation technician, a social worker, a guidance counselor, science technician, an audio-visual person, a storekeeper, nurses and a chaplain.

Apart from the regular classrooms, the makeup of the school included an infirmary, a gymnasium, a large gym divided into two sections for sports activities, a physical and health education room, a swimming pool, chemistry, physics and biology laboratories, language laboratories, a chapel, a library, a cafeteria, a common place, four student lounges, a teacher's lounge, a music room and a radio room for students.

In addition to the secondary school courses, vocational workshops are also available. Courses are available in car mechanics, auto-body or automotive work, ornamental horticulture, electronic techniques, welding, home economics, cooking and commercial courses for the secretary and the typist. For the ornamental horticultural classes, a greenhouse is available to the students which is adjacent to the school.

We do not just have students from Coaticook following the courses. Thanks to the information on the registration cards, we see students attending from Stanstead, Beebe, Rock Island, Barnston, Baldwin, St. Edwidge, St. Malo, Compton, Moe's River, St. Hermenegilde, Dixville, Hereford, St. Venant, Stanhope, Barford and Way's Mills.
                             Direction Frontalière

André Langevin, Gilles Paquette, Jean De Francesco, Pierre Benoit

The school makes it possible for students to prepare for university or to get a job in the work setting. The five year course of learning is based on an option system according to the following criteria.
1. To establish a large catalogue of studies which would allow students to discover their own choices and abilities.
2. To allow each student to pursue a course of training towards higher learning or a course of studies enabling the student to be trained properly for the job market.
3. To bring about the development of the student into a responsible person, based on having mutual respect and community good mindedness.

The student attending a multi-purpose school is not required to have any material or program thoroughly mastered. He must learn to build, with the help of resource persons (teachers, family, guidance counselors, etc.) an individual program geared to his needs in each of the four fundamental base subjects: languages, arts, sciences, mathematics, arts and techniques; personal growth.

The academic year is divided into two semesters. The first semester includes the months of September, October, November and, December. The second semester includes the months of January, February, March, April, May and June.

Reference: L'Histoire de Coaticook, Rock Dandenault, 1976

Le Courant

Le Courant est publié par la Société une fois par année. Membres de la société, historiens professionnels et amateurs partagent avec les lecteurs le fruit de leurs recherches. Les textes sont disponibles en français et en anglais. La publication de cette revue est rendue possible grâce au soutien de commanditaires locaux que nous remercions avec toute notre gratitude.

Société d'histoire de Coaticook

34, rue Main Est
Coaticook, Québec
819 849-1023

Heures d'ouverture

Mardi au jeudi
9.30h à 15.00 h

Droits d'entrée : Aucun

Bases de données

Vous pouvez désormais effectuer une recherche de photos sur nos bases de données en ligne.

Vous pouvez maintenant également faire des recherches dans nos fonds et collections d'archives par le Portail des archives des Cantons-de-l'Est.


Journaux et photos du Progrès de Coaticook depuis 1950 • Collection du Coaticook Observer des années 1928 à 1938. • Collection de l'Etoile de l'Est de 1928 à 1938.

Services de recherche

Fonds d'archives • Conservation • Bibliothèque • Recherches en archives • Informations généalogiques

Merci à nos partenaires pour leur soutien financier